Friday, January 8, 2010

The RAT Race Story




You're born. A few years pass and you go to primary school. Why? To get a decent foundation of knowledge that will support you throughout life. You work hard and do your homework, because that's what your parents told you to do.
After a few years at primary school you can read and write and do basic mathematics. You hit puberty and go to secondary school. Why? To get good grades! But why's that important? Well, so you can get into a great university! Oh, OK.
You continue to work hard, do your homework and revise for the all important end of school exams! Since you have worked hard you do well. You get into you first choice university. Great!
Hmmm... This university lark is expensive, I'm not sure how I can afford it.
No worries, you can get a student loan that will cover your tuition fees, pay your rent and still give you money to piss up the wall!
But why am I at university anyway? So you can study for the career! Then you can get a job, buy a house, start a family and live the life that society says you should lead!
Ah, OK. So off you go to uni. You study less hard but make up for it by playing hard. You lose your virginity (if you hadn't already at school (naughty!)), drink way more than your liver can handle, miss lectures and have an infection scare. Still, you scrape through with a reasonable grade. Phew. Oh, by this time you are between £10,000-20,000 in debt.
Oh well, forget about that for now, I can pay it off when I've got a job, and now I have the tools to go out and make some money! Cool! So off you go and get a job. You earn more money now than you ever have, so you get a student loan for a new car. Another £7,000-£10,000 debt.
Still, you don't mind too much because you work harder and get a promotion. And you meet someone at work who you rather like. You furnish her with gifts and meals to impress her and WAHOO! Before you know it, it's worked and you have a fiance.
A wedding is really expensive stuff! Better work harder to get another promotion. You get one, but whenever you have more money to spend you seem to have more bills and expenses. Especially since you are now paying a mortgage for the new house you've just bought.
You work harder, doing longer hours and having less time for you. This didn't stop you getting the wife pregnant though! DAMN!
Baby clothes, a pram, decorate the spare bedroom, new car seat! The list is endless.
You work even harder than before, getting a new job with more money but a longer commute. Baby pops out but you don't see it much, you're always in the office.
Then you do something really silly!! You get her pregnant again!!! House is now too small, you sell, and buy a bigger more expensive house. The mortgage is almost crippling!! How can I be in this situation?! I studied hard at uni, I got good grades like I was told I needed, I have a good job, yet I'm still working my ass off, making other people richer and I never see my wife and kids! WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
Nothing. You didn't do anything wrong. You just weren't trained in how money works.
Stay tuned! Keep your eyes open for next articles for tips on how to escape the rat race!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jon_Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment